Gayle Wood, DDS
Dr. Gayle Wood passed away suddenly in January of this year. She was a beautiful, loving mother, volunteer, and friend to so many. She will forever be loved and dearly missed.
Dr. Wood began her practice in the South Bay 22 years ago. A true Trojan, she graduated from the University of Southern California with a Bachelor's Degree in Gerontology. During her studies, she focused on the Biology, the Sociology, and the Psychology of Aging, while maintaining a focus on Biology. While attending New York University College of Dentistry she knew very quickly that she would specialize in Periodontics. From the beginning of her doctoral studies, she was attracted to this field because she enjoyed helping patients evolve from a diseased state to a healthy one and from a sometimes unsightly smile to a beautiful one. Periodontics was a perfect fit and she completed her Post Doctoral Residency at Boston University School of Graduate Dentistry in 1989.
Heading back to the West Coast to live, she chose the South Bay for its beauty, serenity, and great family community. She and her family participate in many community activities including Heal the Bay, providing free dental care at the downtown LA Hippie Kitchen, Hearts for the Homeless, Martyrs Angels and are active members of American Martyrs Church. She and her family are actively involved in tribal activities, ceremonies, and family outings with her Native American Tribe, Citizen Potawatomi Nation.
She balances her career and practice so that she can spend time with her family which is her great love and calling. You may even see her attending the many local sporting events of her children or see her boogie boarding with them at the beach. Dr. Wood refers to that time as the "best part of my week". Manhattan Beach is a great place to live and work.
Many patients comment that it is obvious that Dr. Wood loves what she does. It's true. She works hard to keep the practice fresh, up-to-date and a great place to practice for herself and her staff. You will see this once you have joined the practice.
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies: Residency in Periodontics at Boston University
- D.D.S.: New York University College of Dentistry
- B.S.: University of Southern California
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Academy of Osseointegration
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Association
- Western Los Angeles Dental Society
- American Academy of Periodontology Annual Student Award
- Munksgaard International Publishers Award to the student who has demonstrated outstanding proficiency in the treatment of the geriatric patient
- Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Department of Periodontics 1989-1991
- Graduate Student Clinical Assistant Professor, Boston University School of Dentistry 1987-1989
- The leader of Spear Study Club of Manhattan Beach with 9 of the most talented dentists in the South Bay, Dr. Wood also gives multiple lectures per year to other dental professionals regarding the latest trends in Periodontics and Oral Surgery.
Here is a recent article about dentistry today in The Tidings, serving the underserved, and a mention of Dr. Wood's contribution to Skid Row:
The new dental clinic serves skid row's homeless - The Tidings
Dr. Caden Lim, DMD, MPH
Periodontics & Oral Surgery of Manhattan Beach
500 South Sepulveda Boulevard
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Fax 310 798 7191